Skip to main content

A Difficult and Beautiful Wedding



If someone would have told me 20 years ago that I'd be flying to Tucson to meet up with my sister and attend my stepdaughter's wedding after my husband's death, I'd have asked what they were smoking. But that's exactly what I did.

Honestly, I had been dreading the trip, because I knew just how hard it would be without John. But I couldn't have missed it. I asked my sister to fly in, both for moral support, and for a mini vacation for the two of us. I wouldn't have made it through the weekend without her. 

Thursday's travel was a complete cluster fuck from the start. But, since John died three months ago, almost nothing has been easy or gone off without some sort of colossal hitch. So, as I walked through the airport cussing under my breath, I figured it was just par for my current course. After hours of delays, I finally arrived in Tucson at midnight, a mere eight hours late.

As I got dressed for the Saturday evening wedding and did the last-minute wrapping of the afghan I made for Liz and Charlie, my anxiety was building. A brief backstory on the blanket. On February 21, John's birthday, I drove 80 miles to Eugene for a shopping and "me" day. I wanted to be alone, I needed clothes for the wedding, and I needed yarn for the wedding blanket. I spent 20 minutes in a very small local yarn store trying to find just the right color and texture yarn. I was about to give up when I spotted some greenish yarn in a basket by the front door. I knew they both like green, and it was a luxuriously soft merino wool. It wasn't until I started working it up the next day that it ended up looking like a camouflage Army blanket. I started laughing. I bought the yarn on John's birthday to make a gift for his daughter, so of course it was looking like an Army blanket. It definitely didn't have a wedding vibe, but it was perfect for her. I know John had a hand in it. 

The wedding was at Catalina State Park in Tucson, a beautiful setting against the backdrop of the Catalina mountains. My sister and I arrived early and sat in the car waiting for people to arrive. I saw my stepson Tom walking up the road and didn't recognize him at first in his cowboy duds. The stiff blue jeans and cowboy hat weren't his style. As we stood near the car talking, I saw Liz drive up in John's truck. That was the first of many times I fought back tears.  I had only a few minutes with Liz before the wedding. She looked stunning, of course, and I hoped we both wouldn't break down when we hugged. Most of the evening I felt like I was outside myself looking in, there but not there, present and absent at the same time. I'm sure I came across as distant, but I was just trying to survive the evening.

Kaia, a longtime friend of Liz's, officiated the ceremony. As she talked about her history with Liz, I wondered if she'd bring up John. No sooner had I wondered, than she did. Then she said, "Where's Jill?" I was seated in the front row. That's when Kaia lost it and had to take a moment.  I fought back tears as I heard a person behind me crying. When she continued, she described Liz's good qualities and I realized she was describing John. Liz's even temperament, strength and steadfastness are all qualities I admired in John. Somehow I still managed to keep the tears at bay. Liz started her vows to Charlie and told him why she loves him. She, too, was describing John's qualities. I couldn't stop the tears any longer. Cathy was patting my leg. Tom was patting my shoulder. I wanted to run, hide, and sob behind a cactus. 

After the ceremony, Kaia gave me a long hug and said how happy she was I was there. Another longtime friend of Liz's came up to me and said she was happy I could make it. I met Charlie's parents, who John had the pleasure of meeting several times before but I had not. John always had glowing things to say about them, about how they adored Liz and John's grandson, Felix. Liz doesn't talk to her mother, who John always referred to as Plaintiff, and I'm very glad she has parents now that John is gone. I believe Charlie is her "person" and am hopeful they will have a long and happy marriage.

Although it had only been six months since I'd seen Felix, he didn't appear to recognize me. At nearly six years old, and without John by my side and without context, he didn't know me. I don't know what my relationship with Tom, Liz, Felix and Dolly will look like without John. I've always gotten along with his kids, but we haven't been close. I've gotten closer to Liz in the past year, but I still feel a disconnect and maybe that's how it will always be. She is settling into marriage, parenthood, a career she loves, and thanks to some life insurance money, home ownership is on her horizon. I don't know where or if I'll fit into her life. I'm learning to be okay with that.

Our time outside of the wedding evening included doing touristy things to show my sister the beauty of Tucson, eating Mexican food, driving past old houses and haunts. Only about a hundred times over the weekend did I think, "Oh, I need to tell John about that," or "John would love that." 

I was happy to get on the plane to get away from Tucson. I had a witchipoo moment where I thought this would be my last trip to the desert. It seemed like one more thing I have to say goodbye to. That's all I've done in the past three months. Losing John set off an avalanche of goodbyes. I moved out of a house I didn't love, but it had been home for nine years. I'm learning to let go of the life we had, the things we enjoyed doing together which I'll probably never do again, the meals we enjoyed that now hold no flavor, the person I was inside a marriage, and the future we won't have. I watched married couples my age on the airplane, and it set off another grief storm when I realized just how alone I am in this world. Somehow, I have to learn to be okay with all of that. I held John's flannel shirt close to my heart as I watched the prisms of light dance from the sun hitting the diamond in my wedding ring, and watched Tucson disappear below me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All the Things

  I want to write about how beautiful, horrible, rewarding, and agonizing it is to watch someone you love slowly die. I want to be so brutally honest, you, the reader will need to take a knee after reading. I want to write this because I want to help someone else who might be here one day. Because nobody told me how to do this. He should have been gone by now. My husband was given a six-month prognosis six months and 15 days ago. The colon cancer had spread and there were too many fronts to fight. John said enough was enough and got his affairs in order, as they say. He retired from his job. We flew to Tucson to visit the new granddaughter. We drove to Oregon to visit my dad. And we got used to our new routine of John home all day, every day. My me time suffered, even though John was trying not to be “underfoot.” We fell into the new steps of our routine quite easily, while we each silently counted the months. Then the pain started. The tumor in the pelvic bone was poking at him. “

Let's Talk Cancer, Part 2

  When I look back at the early days of John's diagnosis, it seemed like an emotional cake walk compared to what the next 5 years would hold. Of course, it was a shock finding out my husband had stage IV cancer, but it wasn't unexpected. Everyone in his family dies of cancer, and some young, at 50, like his dad and uncle. John warned me when we met that he'd likely die from cancer at 50, so a cancer diagnosis at 55? Yep, kinda figured. I started living my life in 3-month increments. Three months of treatment, three months until the next scan, three months before the next surgery. Can't make plans for a concert six months from now because he might be sick, or worse, gone.  I started cleaning out the house, throwing things away, selling furniture I didn't need or want, all in anticipation of having to move as John got sicker. Material things held no interest for me. What's the point of a new watch or the latest gadget when your spouse is dying? It'd be just on

Yesterdays and No Tomorrows

 "You mean to tell me there are ten people in more pain than she is in," John told the ER intake nurse when she told him how long the wait would be. I heard him, but couldn't see him. I had my eyes closed, willing the pain in my back to go away. We'd been dating less than two months and I wasn't ready for him to see me at my worst. Next thing I knew, he was helping me to the parking lot and putting me in his car. "We're going to a different hospital." I sat in the waiting room, silently crying, embarrassed to let him see me cry. He stayed with me while I changed into the immodest gown (although he admitted later he was just hoping to see me nekkid). He found a warm blanket when I said I was cold. He waited in the hall outside the CT room and walked beside my gurney back to the ER holding cell.  That was nineteen years ago this month. It was the night I fell in love with him. It was when I knew he'd be my protector, the one who'd have my back,