Skip to main content

Let's Talk Cancer, Part 1

October, 17, 2016, my husband was diagnosed with stage IV colorectal cancer that had metastasized to surrounding lymph nodes and his liver. Prognosis: six months without treatment. With chemo, maybe 12-18. Too far advanced to make either radiation or surgery viable options.

October 17, 2022, my husband had his six-year "cancerversary." 

The six-year cancer roller coaster has had peaks and valleys that would put Six Flags to shame. 

He was blasted with chemo, which worked better than either his doctor or we could have hoped, which made him a candidate for radiation, which also worked well, which made him a candidate for surgery to resect the tumors in his colon and liver. Side note, after surgery on the liver, the patient comes out of recovery a lovely shade of yellow.

He was blasted with more chemo post surgery, while sporting an ostomy bag he'd wear for about 8 months while his insides healed. Three months after the surgery to reconnect his pipes, a routine scan showed a tumor on his adrenal gland. Back to the surgeon we went. Adrenal gland removed with a few lymph nodes. Cancer free.

His oncologist blasted him with months of chemo that gave him huge blisters on his feet, made his hands red and scaly, made him extremely sensitive to cold. John cried "uncle" two treatments short of the full four months of treatment. In the big scheme of things, we said, two more treatments wouldn't matter.

He was cancer free for three years, when at one of his routine screening scans, they found a mass on his bladder. Bladder cancer killed his mother. The roller coaster took a big dip towards another valley. And why couldn't he get a type of cancer that didn't involve cameras going where no man had gone before? Another procedure, tumor resection, but no chemo this time. Immunotherapy instead. A lot fewer side effects with good results.

Cancer-free again. Roller coaster headed towards a peak, although the peaks were lower with each new diagnosis. 

Oh, and let's add in here is when my dad was diagnosed with stage IV prostate cancer. Yep, the two men, people, who are most important to me, both have stage IV cancer. Shoot me in the face.

Then there was that wound on his temple that wouldn't heal. Scab over, peel, kinda heal, fester, rinse and repeat. I Googled the image. "Um ,yeah, you should probably have that looked at. Looks like basal cell carcinoma." Google was correct. Roller coaster had barely reached a mole hill sized peak, when it came hurling down again. Another procedure, stitches, healing, complication, healing. 

Cancer-free, again. Roller coaster groaning upwards.

At a routine screening scan, on an every six-month schedule now, nodules on his lungs. The oncologist isn't concerned, said a lot of people get nodules. Um, a lot of people with his history of cancer? By the way, John asked, how common is it to get THREE different types of cancer? Well, the oncologist said, you really can't count skin cancer because everybody gets that. But, yeah, two different cancers make you, well, unlucky. Thanks doc, you go to medical school for that?

Repeat chest CT in three months to see if the nodules go away, stay the same or increase in number.  Because John is an overachiever, they did all three. One nodule went away, one stayed the same in size, and he grew a new one. 

In between John's treatments, scans, and tests, I wore a path on I-5 between Federal Way and Roseburg, Oregon. My dad's failing eyesight has robbed his confidence in driving anywhere but from his house to town for errands. Driving to the urologist in Eugene was out of the question. Off I went to be his Uber driver, or Guber as he calls me now. On the upside, I was driving a new car that basically drives itself, which made I-5 a lot more bearable. 

Whew, that's a lot in six years. I didn't mention all the complications that landed him in the ER, side effects from chemo that still linger even after four years, because I'd like this post to not be the length of a Dickens novel.

What I will take the time to write about is the mental and emotional toll this cancer coaster has taken. My depression was about to get called up to the major leagues. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All the Things

  I want to write about how beautiful, horrible, rewarding, and agonizing it is to watch someone you love slowly die. I want to be so brutally honest, you, the reader will need to take a knee after reading. I want to write this because I want to help someone else who might be here one day. Because nobody told me how to do this. He should have been gone by now. My husband was given a six-month prognosis six months and 15 days ago. The colon cancer had spread and there were too many fronts to fight. John said enough was enough and got his affairs in order, as they say. He retired from his job. We flew to Tucson to visit the new granddaughter. We drove to Oregon to visit my dad. And we got used to our new routine of John home all day, every day. My me time suffered, even though John was trying not to be “underfoot.” We fell into the new steps of our routine quite easily, while we each silently counted the months. Then the pain started. The tumor in the pelvic bone was poking at him. “

Let's Talk Cancer, Part 2

  When I look back at the early days of John's diagnosis, it seemed like an emotional cake walk compared to what the next 5 years would hold. Of course, it was a shock finding out my husband had stage IV cancer, but it wasn't unexpected. Everyone in his family dies of cancer, and some young, at 50, like his dad and uncle. John warned me when we met that he'd likely die from cancer at 50, so a cancer diagnosis at 55? Yep, kinda figured. I started living my life in 3-month increments. Three months of treatment, three months until the next scan, three months before the next surgery. Can't make plans for a concert six months from now because he might be sick, or worse, gone.  I started cleaning out the house, throwing things away, selling furniture I didn't need or want, all in anticipation of having to move as John got sicker. Material things held no interest for me. What's the point of a new watch or the latest gadget when your spouse is dying? It'd be just on

A Difficult and Beautiful Wedding

If someone would have told me 20 years ago that I'd be flying to Tucson to meet up with my sister and attend my stepdaughter's wedding after my husband's death, I'd have asked what they were smoking. But that's exactly what I did. Honestly, I had been dreading the trip, because I knew just how hard it would be without John. But I couldn't have missed it. I asked my sister to fly in, both for moral support, and for a mini vacation for the two of us. I wouldn't have made it through the weekend without her.  Thursday's travel was a complete cluster fuck from the start. But, since John died three months ago, almost nothing has been easy or gone off without some sort of colossal hitch. So, as I walked through the airport cussing under my breath, I figured it was just par for my current course. After hours of delays, I finally arrived in Tucson at midnight, a mere eight hours late. As I got dressed for the Saturday evening wedding and did the last-minute wrapp