Skip to main content

Jail Time

Do you ever wonder how we as a species, or even a society, will continue to exist? The amount of sheer idiocy I see on a daily basis makes me lose complete faith in humanity. A simple, quick trip to Target to get laundry detergent had me shaking my head, and remembering why I hate to leave my house.

DD the Wonder Dog was in the car so I wanted to make it quick. It was only 68 degrees and I had the back windows half down and the sunroof open. But in the People’s Republic of Federal Way, you never know when someone will be standing at your car, tapping their foot awaiting your arrival so they can point out how you’re abusing your animal, while feeling good about themselves in the process. I know DD plans to call the ASPCA to complain about riding on 4” memory foam and getting a treat for “guarding” the car every time I return. I’m clearly a bad dog mom. 

I digress. I walked down the laundry soap aisle…Arm and Hammer, All, Gain, no Tide, which is what I wanted. So I turned the corner to the next aisle over. A tsunami of Tide. Pods, liquid, powder, scented and un. Every single box, jug and container was behind locked glass doors. I understand why the pods have to be locked up because we’re raising children too stupid to not eat laundry soap, but the other stuff. Really? So, of course, I had to track down an employee. I stopped the first person I saw in a red vest.

 “Excuse me, can you open the laundry soap jail? "

"I’ll have to call someone.” Apparently, she didn't have the security clearance necessary to have the golden key.

I flashed back to my drinking days when I had to get a clerk at Safeway to unlock the tequila because it might escape. Now I’m waiting for laundry soap to be set free. All things being equal, I’d rather have been buying tequila. 

While the warden unlocked the door, I said, “I don’t even want to know why you guys are now locking up laundry soap.” I really didn’t want to go off on an employee who had no part in the decision, so I kept my tone neutral. 

“For theft, I guess.” 

The idea of it was too stupid to argue with so I said, “Thank you” in a nice and gracious tone.

It’s a little-known fact that people routinely stick 92-ounce jugs of laundry soap up their skirt and head for the door. Oh wait, it’s King County, so unless you steal over $900 worth of crap, cops won’t even respond and store employees can’t do a damn thing. OK, so I’ll give them that. But, then why, one aisle over, 10 feet away are there dozens of boxes of laundry soap on parole and unmonitored? Is Tide more of a flight risk than the rest? That’s profiling, and that’s wrong. If theft is the reason behind it, then in Federal Way, every single piece of merchandise in every single store should be in lockdown.

 I should have known better than to leave the house when my fuse was already down to two millimeters. Time to watch some Netflix about serial killing moms.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All the Things

  I want to write about how beautiful, horrible, rewarding, and agonizing it is to watch someone you love slowly die. I want to be so brutally honest, you, the reader will need to take a knee after reading. I want to write this because I want to help someone else who might be here one day. Because nobody told me how to do this. He should have been gone by now. My husband was given a six-month prognosis six months and 15 days ago. The colon cancer had spread and there were too many fronts to fight. John said enough was enough and got his affairs in order, as they say. He retired from his job. We flew to Tucson to visit the new granddaughter. We drove to Oregon to visit my dad. And we got used to our new routine of John home all day, every day. My me time suffered, even though John was trying not to be “underfoot.” We fell into the new steps of our routine quite easily, while we each silently counted the months. Then the pain started. The tumor in the pelvic bone was poking at him. “

Let's Talk Cancer, Part 2

  When I look back at the early days of John's diagnosis, it seemed like an emotional cake walk compared to what the next 5 years would hold. Of course, it was a shock finding out my husband had stage IV cancer, but it wasn't unexpected. Everyone in his family dies of cancer, and some young, at 50, like his dad and uncle. John warned me when we met that he'd likely die from cancer at 50, so a cancer diagnosis at 55? Yep, kinda figured. I started living my life in 3-month increments. Three months of treatment, three months until the next scan, three months before the next surgery. Can't make plans for a concert six months from now because he might be sick, or worse, gone.  I started cleaning out the house, throwing things away, selling furniture I didn't need or want, all in anticipation of having to move as John got sicker. Material things held no interest for me. What's the point of a new watch or the latest gadget when your spouse is dying? It'd be just on

A Difficult and Beautiful Wedding

If someone would have told me 20 years ago that I'd be flying to Tucson to meet up with my sister and attend my stepdaughter's wedding after my husband's death, I'd have asked what they were smoking. But that's exactly what I did. Honestly, I had been dreading the trip, because I knew just how hard it would be without John. But I couldn't have missed it. I asked my sister to fly in, both for moral support, and for a mini vacation for the two of us. I wouldn't have made it through the weekend without her.  Thursday's travel was a complete cluster fuck from the start. But, since John died three months ago, almost nothing has been easy or gone off without some sort of colossal hitch. So, as I walked through the airport cussing under my breath, I figured it was just par for my current course. After hours of delays, I finally arrived in Tucson at midnight, a mere eight hours late. As I got dressed for the Saturday evening wedding and did the last-minute wrapp