Skip to main content

House-Buying and Weird Shit

 

“Hey, my wife needs a house. You have one to sell?”

 “Yes, but it’s in Roseburg, Oregon. Nobody wants to live there.”

 “Perfect! She doesn’t want to live there either, but she has to be close to her dad.”

 This is the conversation I picture in my head of my husband, John, having with the owner of my new house in whatever realm they are both in now. The homeowner also passed away in November of last year and his heirs were in charge of selling it.

 I was in town running errands and driving by properties when I first saw the listing on my phone. I saw the cross streets and thought it was in a completely different part of town. It was a part of town Dad told me to stay away from because there was a lot of drug activity there.

 When I got home, I got another notification from Redfin about it, so I looked further at the listing and location. Not where I thought it was. It was at the high end of my price range, but given the square footage and lot size, it seemed underpriced for the Roseburg market. Hmmm, must be something wrong with it, I thought.

 I immediately called my realtor and said I wanted to see it ASAP. While we were walking the back part of the property, a deer peered over a giant blackberry bush and stared directly at us. She seemed unfazed at our presence and we literally made eye contact. I got goosebumps.

 I’ve been looking at houses in the Roseburg area for almost a year. This house was the first one that checked almost all my boxes. It has a big yard for DD dog to do her zoomies. It has 3 bedrooms and 2 baths, surprisingly hard to find 2 bath houses in this town. It has gas service to the house, another rarity. I HATE cooking on electric stoves. I’m a good cook, but damn, does an electric range screw with my mojo. It has a good buffer between neighboring houses. (I’m craving quiet and privacy.)  It has a garage and covered parking. It is in a good neighborhood.

 I made an offer on the spot. I wasn’t about to lose it, so I offered asking with a $10,000 escalation clause. I had to wait out the weekend while they showed it to other prospective buyers. My offer was accepted, no escalation clause needed. Thus started the whole home-buying process. Inspections, title searches, etc.

To step back in time for a bit of backstory. This might be a bit “out there” for some of my readers, but, what the hell. I am what I am. John had a friend who has the gift of communicating with the departed. They had conversations before he died about what she wanted her “sign” to be that he was there. That is between them, but that lead to my conversation with John about what I wanted my “sign” to be. To be honest, John didn’t believe there was anything beyond death. He expected there was nothing. He would simply cease to be. It’s not what I believe, so to humor me, he engaged in the possibility that he could contact me from wherever he might be. I told him I didn’t want it to be something as pedestrian as a ladybug, but I really didn’t know what to choose. I told him that most likely, I’d know he was near when I found something funny that only he and I would get. And because we are who we are, I said, “Whenever I get a pain in my ass, I’ll know you’re around.” We both had a good laugh.

 I was in contact with his friend after his passing, and she shared with me dreams and energy she was feeling regarding him. She felt that he presented himself to her as a stag, as my protector, and that he was taking on the burden of solving my housing problem. Another friend also told me she saw him as a stag, as my protector. So when I saw the deer at the house, staring so intently at me and not scared away, I thought, hmmmm. John was fiercely protective of me in life, so why would I question that he is still protecting me now?

 The day after I put in the offer on the home, I got in my car to drive to town. There was a ladybug on my arm. I hadn’t seen a ladybug in AGES, and there it was…on my arm. OK, John, message received.

Dad and I drove to the house again the next day, without the realtor, just to get a second look and feel. The deer was there again. This time lying down under a tree, watching us. OK, Jill, how many signs do you need?

 The path to closing day hasn’t been easy. There were a lot of things on inspection, mainly the roof needed replacing sooner rather than later. There were foundation issues, thankfully nothing serious but in need of attention. The furnace is likely older than I am. OK, no biggy. I’d already planned on installing a ductless heat/AC system. The seller agreed to conceding the cost of the roof, so we had a contract! Dad generously offered to help me with some of the other major expenses.

 In the meantime, I had the days marked on my calendar until closing…May 6th. Then my financial advisor came up with an alternative to a home mortgage that would literally save me thousands of dollars, but would also delay closing by a couple of weeks. Worth it.

 Here we are, closing on May 21st. My dad is excited to have “projects”…helping with the physical move, mowing my lawn for the first time, helping put up a fence, installing a doggy door. I’m glad to give him projects. His eyesight is failing and is severely limiting what he’s able to do, but his mind is more active than ever and he’s physically in better shape than a lot of men 20 years younger. But I’m ecstatic at the thought of having my own space again, not living out of boxes, not being on someone else’s schedule, having more than a hundred square foot bedroom to call my own. And most of all, having a quiet place to grieve.

 I’ve done a fantastic job of hiding my grieving from my father, from friends. I think two people, my sister and my bestie, know how hard the past 5 months have been. My bestie said it best this morning when she said my grieving has been put on pause. I told her what I wanted most was to crawl under my covers and cry all day, but I don’t have that luxury here. I’ve had to pause it, stifle it, suppress it. I don’t know how long I will spend crying when I finally have a quiet space.

 I have John to thank for the house I’m moving to this week. Yes, he made sure I was OK financially after his death, but I know he had a hand in this particular house. When I saw the listing on my phone, I had a feeling it was the “one” even though I initially dismissed it. He sent me signs he was guiding it. He tested my patience with all the delays and missteps. Maybe that’s the pain in my ass we talked about!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Difficult and Beautiful Wedding

If someone would have told me 20 years ago that I'd be flying to Tucson to meet up with my sister and attend my stepdaughter's wedding after my husband's death, I'd have asked what they were smoking. But that's exactly what I did. Honestly, I had been dreading the trip, because I knew just how hard it would be without John. But I couldn't have missed it. I asked my sister to fly in, both for moral support, and for a mini vacation for the two of us. I wouldn't have made it through the weekend without her.  Thursday's travel was a complete cluster fuck from the start. But, since John died three months ago, almost nothing has been easy or gone off without some sort of colossal hitch. So, as I walked through the airport cussing under my breath, I figured it was just par for my current course. After hours of delays, I finally arrived in Tucson at midnight, a mere eight hours late. As I got dressed for the Saturday evening wedding and did the last-minute wrapp

All the Things

  I want to write about how beautiful, horrible, rewarding, and agonizing it is to watch someone you love slowly die. I want to be so brutally honest, you, the reader will need to take a knee after reading. I want to write this because I want to help someone else who might be here one day. Because nobody told me how to do this. He should have been gone by now. My husband was given a six-month prognosis six months and 15 days ago. The colon cancer had spread and there were too many fronts to fight. John said enough was enough and got his affairs in order, as they say. He retired from his job. We flew to Tucson to visit the new granddaughter. We drove to Oregon to visit my dad. And we got used to our new routine of John home all day, every day. My me time suffered, even though John was trying not to be “underfoot.” We fell into the new steps of our routine quite easily, while we each silently counted the months. Then the pain started. The tumor in the pelvic bone was poking at him. “

Moving Forward. Not On.

  Months before my husband died, I watched a TEDx talk about moving forward from a loss, because there is no moving on. It made sense at the time, but now I understand it more deeply than ever.   Every day I get moments, reminders, that there is no moving on, but I do my best to move forward, one foot in front of the other, one moment at a time, one day at a time.   I hit a big milestone this week when John’s life insurance was finally paid. It took more phone calls than I can count, pissy emails to the agent who sold us the policy, threats of legal action, before they finally fulfilled their obligation to me and his kids, three months after his death. Having that behind me is the first step in allowing me to move forward. It was incredibly important to John that I was taken care of after he was gone. Maybe we can both rest easier now.   Today I got an email from an organization that was huge in John’s cancer journey, acknowledging a large donation from his daughter, Liz. My tear