Skip to main content

It's Anniversary Season

 

In eleven days, it will be John’s and my 18th wedding anniversary. We were so bad at remembering our anniversary that one time we only remembered because John’s aunt texted Happy Anniversary to me the night before. After recovering from my “oh shit” moment, and realizing we already had the menu planned for the week (taco salad was on the menu for the next night), I said to John, “Hey, how do taco salads sound for our anniversary dinner?” I saw the same “oh shit” look on his face I’d just tried to hide from him. He was a little late getting home from work the next evening because he’d stopped for a card and a pound of See’s Candies.

“Don’t worry, I forgot it, too,” I said to relieve him of the guilt I knew he was feeling. “Auntie Jan just texted me Happy Anniversary.” It wasn’t the first time we’d forgotten and wouldn’t be the last. John had it in his head it was the 16th, not the 6th, so he said, “I didn’t forget. I just remembered wrong.”

This year I won’t forget. It’ll be the first anniversary I’ll celebrate without him. February 7th was the 20th anniversary of our first date. I did forget that one this year. Most likely because I was mired in grief, living with my father, nursing a badly injured knee thanks to my dog. Twenty years! I never thought I’d sit and stay with anyone that long. Way to go, John!

 A minor anniversary happened on September 1st. It was his six-month doomsday date, the expiration date imposed on him by his oncologist at Fred Hutch. On March 1, 2023, his oncologist said he had six months without treatment. John was done, fed up, and wanted no more intervention. So, OK, we’d heard six months before and he got seven years. But this time was different and we knew it.

He stood at the front door with DD’s leash in hand, ready to set off for their daily 4-mile walk. He said, with his famous shit-eating grin, “I’m supposed to be gone by now.” As was so often the case in John’s cancer journey, I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

September 16th it was one year since we met with Mr. Hill at his Gold Creek Camp for him to do a photo shoot with us. It was John’s idea, something I never thought of doing since we both hate having our picture taken. Sitting on stiff chairs at JC Penney wasn’t our style, so he suggested we ask my 80-something former 6th grade teacher and elementary school principal who takes stunning photos. We knew it would mean so much more if he agreed to do it, and he did. I kept my fingers crossed that it would be one of John’s “good” days, as they were coming less and less often. By then he was fighting daily nausea and bouts of vomiting and his pain was increasing. But I also knew that unless he was in excruciating pain, he would still go, smile for the camera, and make it a good day for ME. Because that’s what he’d always done.

September is when he bought a Do Not Resuscitate medical alert bracelet. He said, “If I go toes up on my walk with DD, I don’t want them trying to bring me back.” Not knowing if they’d abide by a medical alert bracelet, he said, “I should carry a copy of my DNR order with me.”

“But how will they find it?”

“I have it on my phone.”

“Hey, how about you use the DNR order as the wallpaper on your lock screen?”

He ordered a bracelet that said, “DNR” and “DNR order on phone’s lockscreen.”

Most people couldn’t believe we had such frank and open discussions about such dark subjects. Ignoring it won’t make it go away was always my response. “But how can you be OK with this?” they’d say. Oh, I am SO not OK with any of this, but it’s his life, his death, and his decision and I support him 100%.   

October will be ripe with anniversaries. One year since the last time his children and grandchildren saw him alive. One year since we all sat on the living room floor going through his old military papers and awards and divvying them up. Liz laid claim to his dress uniform complete with all the appropriate bling. Tom grabbed his marksmanship awards and a few other military honors. Liz grabbed letters he’d saved from his first marriage when he was deployed. As we continued to look through boxes containing his life, I heard Liz laugh. She has a laugh that makes you happy just hearing it. She said, “I can NOT picture you and Mom snorting coke at a Phil Collins concert.” I knew he was in the military when he met her, so I said, “Hey! What were you doing snorting coke? Weren’t you worried about a drug test?’ With his signature shit-eating grin, he said, “They didn’t piss test back then.” Nearly 20 years together and I was still learning about him!

One year since my bestie, the woman who called him “Dad” saw him alive. One year since he entered hospice. One year since I watched him lose weight almost daily. He was getting dangerously close to MY weight. “That’s not gonna fly, buddy. I will NOT outweigh my husband.” I had to laugh, or I’d cry.

 We moved into November and I watched him increase the amount of pain meds he needed to remain relatively comfortable. I could only guess how much pain he was in because John’s pain tolerance was higher than any mortal man’s should be. I watched him pass kidney stones without flinching. I knew he could endure pain that would cripple most people. Between the neuropathy from his months of chemo treatments, the pelvic pain from the tumor in his bones, the gut pain from the unleashed bladder cancer, it was a wonder he was still standing.

Thanksgiving morning he stood at the kitchen counter and said, “I don’t want to do this to you on Thanksgiving.”

“But you’re going to, aren’t you?”

He said, “I’m done. I can’t do this anymore.”

We stood in the kitchen hugging in silence until DD stepped between us like she always did. By this time, John had asked me to accompany them on their morning walks. He said it felt like his pelvic bone was literally about to break any minute and he was afraid if DD lunged or he stepped wrong, he’d be toast. Even in that condition, he was still walking 2-3 miles every morning. He walked three miles the day he died.

A couple of days later, wearing his signature shit-eating grin, he said he was going to the convenience store for Copenhagen. He said, “I’ll buy just a can or two, and then I’m going to quit for good.” That man could make me laugh at the worst times.

November 30th will always be the date burned in my memory as the day my world changed. The date we sat together on his bed saying I love you and it’ll be OK. The date he said, “I hope when it’s your time, you have someone like you to be there for you.” The date he said, “I’m not scared because you’re with me.” The date “The Lover’s Waltz” played in the background as he slipped away.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Difficult and Beautiful Wedding

If someone would have told me 20 years ago that I'd be flying to Tucson to meet up with my sister and attend my stepdaughter's wedding after my husband's death, I'd have asked what they were smoking. But that's exactly what I did. Honestly, I had been dreading the trip, because I knew just how hard it would be without John. But I couldn't have missed it. I asked my sister to fly in, both for moral support, and for a mini vacation for the two of us. I wouldn't have made it through the weekend without her.  Thursday's travel was a complete cluster fuck from the start. But, since John died three months ago, almost nothing has been easy or gone off without some sort of colossal hitch. So, as I walked through the airport cussing under my breath, I figured it was just par for my current course. After hours of delays, I finally arrived in Tucson at midnight, a mere eight hours late. As I got dressed for the Saturday evening wedding and did the last-minute wrapp

All the Things

  I want to write about how beautiful, horrible, rewarding, and agonizing it is to watch someone you love slowly die. I want to be so brutally honest, you, the reader will need to take a knee after reading. I want to write this because I want to help someone else who might be here one day. Because nobody told me how to do this. He should have been gone by now. My husband was given a six-month prognosis six months and 15 days ago. The colon cancer had spread and there were too many fronts to fight. John said enough was enough and got his affairs in order, as they say. He retired from his job. We flew to Tucson to visit the new granddaughter. We drove to Oregon to visit my dad. And we got used to our new routine of John home all day, every day. My me time suffered, even though John was trying not to be “underfoot.” We fell into the new steps of our routine quite easily, while we each silently counted the months. Then the pain started. The tumor in the pelvic bone was poking at him. “

Moving Forward. Not On.

  Months before my husband died, I watched a TEDx talk about moving forward from a loss, because there is no moving on. It made sense at the time, but now I understand it more deeply than ever.   Every day I get moments, reminders, that there is no moving on, but I do my best to move forward, one foot in front of the other, one moment at a time, one day at a time.   I hit a big milestone this week when John’s life insurance was finally paid. It took more phone calls than I can count, pissy emails to the agent who sold us the policy, threats of legal action, before they finally fulfilled their obligation to me and his kids, three months after his death. Having that behind me is the first step in allowing me to move forward. It was incredibly important to John that I was taken care of after he was gone. Maybe we can both rest easier now.   Today I got an email from an organization that was huge in John’s cancer journey, acknowledging a large donation from his daughter, Liz. My tear